This soothing Golden Beet Soup is made with pureed root vegetables, broth, spices, and coconut milk. It's vegan, healthy, and naturally gluten-free.
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter
- 2 medium yellow onions, roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 cups (475 ml) vegetable or chicken broth
- 3 medium beetroots, peeled and diced
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled and diced
- 2 medium white or sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 14-ounce can (400 ml) full fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste (just the tiniest bit!)
- Prep: Heat coconut oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Onion: Then add onions and cook, stirring on occasion, until caramelized (approximately 5-7 minutes). Use splashes of water as needed to deglaze the pan.
- Garlic: Add garlic and stir until golden (about 2 minutes).
- Cook the root veggies: Add broth, root vegetables, spices, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until root vegetables are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Puree the soup: Remove the bay leaf. Turn off heat and use an immersion blender to puree completely. You can also use a standard food processor or standing blender -- in this case, wait for the soup to cool completely before pureeing.*
- Add coconut milk: Stir in the coconut milk and serve hot.
*Important: Do not puree hot soup in a standing blender or food processor. The heat can cause the soup to expand and the top to pop off, creating a mess and burn hazard.
Storage: Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
This recipe is delicious using beets of any color. The photos show a soup made with golden beets.
Make this recipe your own by adding additional beetroots (this recipe can handle one or two more) or other root vegetables.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Soup, Dinner, Lunch
- Method: One-pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: beet soup, beetroot soup, beet soup with coconut milk