Flavorful marinated Chinese Five Spice Chicken, crisp zucchini spears, and fresh fluffy rice makes the perfect easy Asian fusion! With minimal cooking time, you don’t need to heat up your house (or camper van) with this one 😉 Once marinated with just a few ingredients, you can go from drooling over these photos to dinner in no time!
This easy five spice chicken recipe is perfect for anytime of the year! We especially love it for weeknights because it is super quick and also healthy.
This Chinese Five Spice Chicken Recipe is amazing because...
- the unusual flavor and vegetable combo will totally shake up your routine!
- it uses only 9 ingredients including sides 😉
- the marinade is droolworthy...
- it's home, camp stove, and camper van friendly!
PLUS you get 3 amazing textures in one quick dish:
- Juicy chicken
- Crisp zucchini spears
- Fluffy fresh rice
What more could you want from an easy recipe?
Step 1. Marinade: Marinade the chicken.
Step 2. Fry the chicken: Fry chicken and marinade on medium-high heat until fully cooked, about 7 minutes.
Step 3. Zucchini: Fry the zucchini spears on high heat until slightly softened.
- Marinade for as long as possible. I always marinade the chicken for at least an hour, but longer is definitely better!
- Choose a GF-friendly spice blend for you and your gluten-free friends. Spice blends are more likely to have gluten cross-contact during manufacturing. Choose a Chinese Five Spice labeled gluten-free. And if you're still adjusting to cross-contact and other aspects of gluten-free living, I encourage you to check out my Trust Your GF Food ebook! It will help you master all the tricks way faster.
- Low fuss food = happiness.This recipe is super low fuss and one of our favorite weeknight meals.
More Easy Asian-inspired recipes to consider...
Looking for more recipes like this one? Try these:
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below & if you really like it, consider a comment in the field further down. Thank you!
Chinese Five Spice Chicken with Zucchini Spears
Chicken and Marinade:
- 1 pound chicken , breasts, tenders, or thighs work
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil or other neutral cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 3 shallots sliced thinly
- 2 teaspoons Chinese Five Spice
- ¼ cup gluten-free soy sauce , gf tamari, or coconut aminos
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or other neutral cooking oil
- 2 medium zucchini sliced into 2-inch spears
- 5 servings prepared jasmine or basmati rice
- Slice the chicken into bite-sized pieces. Then place them in a sealable container and add avocado and sesame oils, sliced shallots, Chinese Five Spice, gluten-free soy sauce (or alternative), maple syrup, and ginger. Mix well, seal the container, and allow to marinade for at least one hour or several hours (or even overnight) if possible.
- Add the chicken and marinade to a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook through, stirring on occasion (approximately 7 minutes).
- Transfer the contents of the pan to a large bowl, then add a small amount of oil and the zucchini spears to the pan. Fry the zucchini spears over high heat until slightly softened, about 4 minutes.
- Prepare the rice bowls with chicken, zucchini spears, and fresh rice. Enjoy!