This easy gluten free and dairy free Swedish Meatballs recipe is at least as tasty as the original! Smooth buttery gravy with flavorful little meatballs packed with extra veggies make for a healthier recipe. They will remind you of days shopping at Ikea and are the ultimate winter comfort food. We make them as an easy weeknight dinner and on weekends.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 heaping cup finely chopped mushrooms
- ¼ medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup cashew milk
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup instant mashed potato flakes
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup coconut butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 ½ cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup cashew milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- chopped flat leaf parsley
- Preheat the oven to 425 F. Mix all meatball ingredients together. Roll into little balls (about the size of a ping-pong ball) and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm when pressed. *Note: you can also pan fry the meatballs.
- Melt coconut butter in a large skillet on medium heat. Add spices and tapioca starch, mixing well with a spatula or wooden spoon. Add broth in ~1/4 cup increments and stir or whisk well with each addition to make smooth. Add cashew milk in the same fashion. Add extra broth as needed to get your desired gravy consistency.
- Place meatballs in gravy. Push them around gently to get nice and saucy.
You can easily cook the meatballs in a skillet, rather than the oven. Simply fry them in the skillet until browned on the outside and firm when pressed on. For van life friends looking for a holiday meal, THIS recipe is my go-to!
It's easy to make the 'meatballs' vegetarian. Replace the ground beef with a substitution like Beyond Meat's mock version. All the other ingredients are plant-based, with the exception of eggs.
There are only 11 different ingredients. For ease of prep, I recorded a few ingredients twice -- under 'Meatballs' and under 'Gravy'. Don't be fooled by the longer looking list! Other than salt and pepper, there are only 11 total ingredients listed.
- Cuisine: Swedish
Keywords: dairy free swedish meatballs, dairy free meatballs, gluten free swedish meatballs, healthy swedish meatballs