Gluten Free Blueberry Muffins with dairy-free buttermilk, fresh or frozen blueberries, and a cinnamon sugar topping that crisps!
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup (142 grams) gluten-free 1-to-1 style flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup + 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, melted but not hot
- 1 egg
Mix-Ins and Topping
- 2/3 cup (110 grams) blueberries
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and grease or line 6 cups of a standard muffin pan.
- Combine the buttermilk ingredients. I do this in a liquid measuring cup so the recipe needs only one mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Add wet ingredients and vegan buttermilk to the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined but do not overmix -- there will still be some small flour lumps in the batter and that's okay.
- Add blueberries. Again, mix until just combined.
- Portion the batter between the muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop for this.
- Sprinkle cinnamon sugar on top. Mix 1 tablespoon of granulated sugar with cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the tops of the muffins.
- Bake at 425 degrees F for 7 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 400 degrees F.
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 8 minutes. At this point, the muffins should be perfectly cooked! But you can insert a toothpick in the center of a muffin to make sure it comes out dry to double-check if you like.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan. Then gently remove the muffins and set on a wire cooling rack for an additional 10 minutes before eating.
* If using regular dairy milk or buttermilk, do not add the apple cider vinegar. Simply use the buttermilk as-is because it is already acidic.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Baking, Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free muffins, gluten and dairy free blueberry muffins