This One Pot Lentil Pasta is the ultimate easy weeknight comfort food! With only 9 ingredients, 5 minutes of prep, and 25 minutes of cooking, it will quickly become a weekday staple.
Extra protein from the lentil pasta makes for a filling meal and tomato and basil blend together nicely with olive oil and just a few spices, for simple perfection.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups diced roma tomatoes (about 4 medium roma tomatoes)
- 1 2/3 cups vegetable broth (plus more as needed -- see notes*)
- 6 servings lentil pasta (about 12 ounces, 340 g)
- 2 packed cups fresh basil leaves
- optional: one handful fresh spinach
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- optional: 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper for heat
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium high heat. Add shallots and cook for about five minutes until soft and caramelized, stirring on occasion.
- Add the garlic and allow to cook for 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown and fragrant. Then add diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes (optional). Cover with a lid and allow to cook for 7-8 minutes until soft, stirring on occasion. One softened, press tomato pieces with the backside of a wooden spoon to squish out the tasty juices.
- Add broth and pasta. Bring to a low boil and cook for the time listed on the pasta packaging with lid partially covering, stirring occasionally at first and more consistently as the liquid absorbs. When the pasta reaches al dente, remove from heat. Stir in basil and optional spinach if desired until wilted. Serve warm and enjoy!
*If cooking without a lid or the pasta is too dry, add up to 1/4 cup extra vegetable broth.
Make it your own. Add extra spices or keep it simple -- either way, this dish is versatile and delicious!
Add a little fresh tomato to revive leftovers. The juice and flavor from a little fresh tomato rehydrates any leftovers for an awesome meal on day 2!
I like this recipe with a gluten-free pasta that's a rice/lentil blend. I used Bionaturae Organic Gluten-Free Rice & Lentil Pasta (also soy-free). I think it tastes the most like traditional pasta. The red lentil pastas have a stronger bean flavor.
- Category: Meal
- Method: One Pot
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Vegan Lentil Pasta, One Pot Penne Pasta, One Pot Vegan Pasta, Gluten free Pasta recipe