An easy, hearty, big-batch Savory Pumpkin Stew recipe in one-pot! 9 clean ingredients plus a few spices. Gluten-free, dairy-free, and grain-free.
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 3 cups broth (chicken, beef, or vegetable)
- 3 medium russet potatoes, diced
- 1 15-oz can pumpkin puree
- 1 15-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups curly kale, stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces
- 2/3 cup full fat coconut milk
- 4 medium bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Onion: Add olive oil and onion to a large pot on medium-high heat. Saute for about 5 minutes, stirring on occasion, until the onions are soft and begin to caramelize.
- Meat: Add the ground meat to the pot and cook until browned, stirring on occasion (5-7 minutes). See 'Substitutions' below for a vegan version.
- Soup it up: Add all other ingredients to the pot except kale and coconut milk.
- Simmer: Stir the ingredients together. Heat to a simmer and cook, stirring on occasion, until the potatoes are soft (about 15 minutes).
- Finish: Then add kale and ⅔ cup coconut milk. Bring to a simmer again and it's done! Serve warm and enjoy.
Tip: Chop the potatoes in a small dice (about 1 centimeter cubes) so they cook faster. Cooking time can vary by a full 10 minutes depending on the size of the dice.
Storage: Store leftover Pumpkin Stew in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Vegan - use vegetable broth and replace the ground meat with 1 additional can of beans of your choosing.
Paleo or Whole 30 - simply omit the beans or replace them with 1 ½ cups sliced mushrooms.
Heavy cream - instead of coconut milk, you can use heavy cream.
Spinach - in a pinch, readers have used spinach and said it still turns out great.
Fresh basil - add fresh basil to garnish in addition to the dried basil in the recipe to make it special for dinner guests.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dinner, Soup, Stew
- Method: One-pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: pumpkin stew, savory pumpkin recipes, pumpkin soup with coconut milk, best pumpkin soup recipe ever