This one pot Vegan Broccoli Mac and Cheese is the perfect healthy 30 minute weeknight dinner! You need only 7 gluten and dairy free ingredients. I know you'll love the creaminess of this comfort food favorite and ease of clean up!
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil or vegan butter
- 1 head broccoli florets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 shallots, sliced thinly
- 5 servings elbow pasta (about 340 grams) -- I used gluten-free lentil pasta
- 2 1/4 cups cashew milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- salt and pepper to taste
- Add oil to a pot on medium high heat. Add broccoli florets and shallot. Sauté, stirring on occasion for 5 to 7 minutes until veggies are soft and browning.
- Add cashew milk, garlic powder, and pasta. Allow to cook for the time directed on the pasta package, stirring on occasion at first and more consistently as the liquid absorbs. When the pasta is nearly al dente, remove from heat.
- Add nutritional yeast and salt and pepper to taste. Black pepper is especially tasty in this dish! Mix well and serve, adding a splash of cashew milk if the pasta is too dry.
Make it your own with paprika, chili powder, or other spices you love in a mac and cheese recipe!
Double check the Pasta amount. Most gluten-free pastas come in 4-6 serving boxes (between 250 and 350 grams). Regular (non gluten free) pasta usually comes in packages with 8 servings. This recipe asks for 6 servings, or about 340 grams. It's ok to estimate (I do!) -- just be prepared to add a little extra plant-based milk if needed.
I prefer a neutral, natural flavored pasta over a bean based pasta with a strong flavor for this recipe.
- Category: One Pot, Vegan, Comfort foods
- Method: One pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan broccoli mac and cheese, one pot vegan mac and cheese, broccoli mac and cheese, dairy free mac and cheese