This super easy and quick version of a traditional peanut sauce recipe & stir fry is baked, low maintenance, and totally delicious!
- Optional: 1.5 lbs (0.7 kg) chicken, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 bunches of green onions, cut into ½” pieces
- 3 medium heads broccoli (~2 lbs., 1 kg), chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 lb. (0.45 kg) mushrooms, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 2.5 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fish sauce (we use Red Boat brand)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sesame oil
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) peanut butter (no sugar added -- see notes)
- 2/3 cup (160 ml) full fat coconut milk
- Juice from 1 medium lime
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) coconut aminos
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fish sauce
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sesame oil
- 1 tsp (2.4 g) dried red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp (5 g) sea salt
- 6-8 servings of cooked fresh white or brown rice
- Preheat oven to 450 deg F (230 C)
- Layer from bottom to top in a 2” deep baking dish: chicken (optional), onion, green onion, broccoli, and mushrooms. Drizzle with vegetable oil, 1 tbsp fish sauce, and 1 tbsp sesame oil.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 min.
- While the vegetables bake, make the sauce: In a separate bowl, combine peanut butter, coconut milk, lime, 1 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp fish sauce, coconut aminos, red pepper flakes, & any optional ingredients (see notes). Mix thoroughly.
- Remove the foil and broil the vegetables and chicken for 10 min, uncovered. Remove from oven.
- To serve: Layer the vegetables and chicken on a bed of rice, add ~3 tbsp. of peanut sauce, mix thoroughly, and enjoy!
For best taste, we recommend using peanut butter with no added sweeteners. However, if you don’t have this on hand, slightly sweetened peanut butter works well too.
Take it up a notch: We think the sauce tastes great as listed above, but if you're looking for a real show-stopper, add these ingredients as well:
1/2 tsp ginger powder (2.5 g)
1/2 tsp garlic powder (1.6 g)
4 tbsp (~55 g) chopped cilantro
Substitutions: You can substitute soy sauce for fish sauce or omit it completely. However, we really do prefer the taste with fish sauce.
- Category: Dinner, Meal
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Dairy-free