Curries are one of the easiest most flavorful dishes to throw together quickly and this Pork Green Curry is no exception! When I first made this dish, I was traveling down the West Coast of the USA by bicycle. I hadn't had restaurant food in ages and had a serious craving for Thai. So I grabbed what I could from a small local market and whipped up a Thai/Pacific Northwest fusion. It was originally a "throw-together" recipe, but with a few tweaks, it quickly became a favorite easy dish that's bursting with flavor! We now make it in our camper van and at home as a weekly gluten-free dairy-free dinner with easy-to-find ingredients.
Green curry is my favorite flavor variety followed by red curry. While the spice combination originated in Thailand, this version can be considered Thai-inspired by the rich green curry paste but made for purposes other than authenticity -- like the fact that it's a gluten-free travel-friendly meal!
The pork is tender, the kale soft but chewy, and mushrooms really add depth to this simple dish. I'm sure you'll love it as much as we do -- I bet it will quickly make the weekly rotation like it did for us!
I hope you enjoy its simplicity for weeknight dinners and anytime you're looking for something a little bit different, with minimal time in the kitchen. Let's dive right in!
Instructions with Photos
1. Brown pork evenly on medium high heat.
2. Add mushrooms, garlic, and ginger. Cook 2-3 minutes until the garlic begins turning golden. Then add green curry paste and cook for 1 minute more (stir constantly).
3. Add coconut milk and kale. Allow to simmer.
4. Serve over rice (cauliflower rice works too!).
I never finished the photo shoot in the camper van. This shot is from the bike tour but the previous "how-to" photos were taken in the van. I made the dish in a parking lot of a park nearby to where we had our van fixed earlier that day. Someone called the police on us saying we had "weapons in the vehicle" (we did not). After being held at gunpoint by the police, the dispatch indicated we were called in for being "coronavirus spreaders" because of our out-of-state license plate. When the police told them an out-of-state plate is not something they can investigate, the caller began claiming false weapons. Know that we had been in the area for months -- long before coronavirus arrived in the USA.
Pork Green Curry
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 pound pork chops , cut thinly into bite-sized pieces
- 10 medium cremini mushrooms , sliced thinly
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk (400 ml)
- 1 bunch kale , stems removed with leaves torn into bite sized pieces and massaged
- 3 cloves garlic , minced
- 1 thumb siced piece ginger , peeled and minced
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste
- 3 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Add coconut oil to a large skillet on medium high heat. When oil is melted and evenly coats the bottom of the pan, add the pork. Allow to cook uncovered and stirring on occasion to brown pork evenly on all sides (about 5 minutes).
- Add mushrooms, garlic and ginger. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the garlic just begins to brown. Add green curry paste and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut milk and kale. Reduce heat to simmer for ~7 minutes or until the kale softens. Serve warm over rice.
Need to add gluten-free ingredients to your pantry?
& check out our Shop, full of 100% Gluten-free and Celiac-friendly products & tools I use every day!
Hungry for more?
I hope you enjoy this Easy Pork Green Curry recipe as much as I do!
With love and gratitude,