Achieve a bakery crumb and beautiful round tops with this gluten-free chocolate chip muffins recipe. This is a small batch, one bowl muffin recipe that uses my two-step baking method and is ready in under 30 minutes!
Dairy Free Buttermilk
- ½ cup + 1 tablespoon (133 ml) almond milk
- ½ tablespoon (7 ml) apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon (155 grams) gluten-free 1-to-1 style flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon (50 grams) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) vegan butter, melted but not hot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (80 grams) mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, plus some extras to sprinkle on top
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F (218 degrees F) and grease or line 6 cups of a standard muffin pan.
- Buttermilk: Combine the buttermilk ingredients. I do this in a liquid measuring cup so the recipe needs only one mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Dry Ingredients: Mix all dry ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl.
- Wet Ingredients: Add wet ingredients and vegan buttermilk to the bowl of dry ingredients. Stir until just combined but do not over mix -- there will still be some small flour lumps in the batter and that's okay.
- Chocolate Chips: Add chocolate chips and mix until just combined.
- Prep for Baking: Portion the batter into the 6 greased or lined muffin cups. I like to use an ice cream scoop for this. Then sprinkle any extra chocolate chips on top for decoration.
- Bake: Bake at 425 degrees F (218 degrees F) for 7 minutes. Then lower the temperature to 400 degrees F. Bake at 400 degrees F (205 degrees F) for 8 minutes. At this point, the muffins should be perfectly cooked. To double-check, insert a toothpick into the center of a muffin. When fully cooked, the toothpick should come out dry.
- Cool: Cool for 5 minutes in the muffin pan. Then gently remove the muffins and set on a wire cooling rack for an additional 10 minutes before eating.
Storage: Store on the counter for up to 2 days in an airtight container or up to 4 days in the refrigerator. Remove from the refrigerator and bring back to room temperature for the best texture as they may not be as soft and crumbly when cold. Freeze for up to 3 months in an airtight container. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and then on the counter before enjoying.
Gluten Free Mini Chocolate Chip Muffins: Make this recipe in a mini muffin tin! Bake at 400 degrees F (205 C) for about 10 minutes (monitor carefully after 7 minutes) or until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 15
- Category: Baking, Breakfast
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free muffins, gluten free baking, dairy free chocolate chip muffins