This complex, refreshing Strawberry Basil Smoothie is bursting with a sweet herby flavor. Make this deliciously invigorating drink for your foodie friends or enjoy it on those days when you need a change from the routine.
Summer is heating up and this naturally gluten-free strawberry and basil smoothie recipe is creamy, cold, and one tasty way to cool down! It’s a unique flavor combination that's chocked full of wholesome ingredients.
Why I love this Strawberry Basil Recipe for Smoothies
We love that this smoothie has a bright, smooth flavor and is a unique twist on the average smoothie. It’s creamy from the avocado and strawberries and basil are the key flavors for a lovely balance of freshness in this fruit smoothie.
- Hydrating - Full of the best ingredients, this smoothie is hydrating and perfect for a Summer day.
- Nourishing - We love healthy recipes, and this strawberry smoothie is packed full of healthy ingredients.
- Mixed Drink Potential! - Want a fresh and fun mixed drink idea to serve at parties or with friends? Salt the rim of a glass and mix this smoothie with a shot of tequila.
Ingredients and Substitutions
A few pantry items and fresh produce make this an easy smoothie recipe without bananas and comes together in minutes.
Plus, we’re sneaking in some superfoods for a healthy drink! We didn’t always love smoothies because of the added sugars, but because we now add nut butter and leafy greens, it’s hard to say no to a tasty and filling smoothie that’s also good for you.
- Strawberries - Frozen strawberries are best for a nice cold smoothie.
- Avocado - Creamy and healthy.
- Fresh spinach - Pack in the health benefits, like iron and fiber, with a sneaky veggie.
- Basil - Just a few leaves go a long way in adding a refreshing herby taste. Mint leaves make an excellent substitution if you don't have basil.
- Nut butter - Almond butter is smooth, nutty, and a great source of plant-based protein. Replace with sunflower seed butter, cashew butter, or leave it out entirely.
- Plant-based milk - Calcium-fortified almond milk is a favorite and a healthy alternative to dairy milk. Any plant-based milk or cow's milk works well as a substitution in this recipe.
- Maple Syrup - Just a little bit of sweetness! Honey works well as a substitution or you can leave it out entirely.
How to Make this Strawberry Smoothie with Nut Butter
Add ingredients to the blender and blend until smooth!
Gluten-Free Smoothie Variations
This almond milk smoothie with strawberries and basil is perfectly divine as is, but varying this recipe to fit your diet or taste is easy. That’s what's great about smoothies, they are completely versatile and can accommodate everyone.
- Milk - Instead of almond milk, try another plant-based milk such as oat milk, cashew milk, or soy milk. You could also use dairy milk.
- Basil - If you don’t have basil or would like to try another herb, mint is an excellent variation.
- Coconut water - Swap 1 cup of milk for 1 cup of coconut water for extra hydration with electrolytes.
- Seeds - Add 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, chia seeds, or hemp seeds for an extra nutrient boost.
More Smoothie recipesPrint
Strawberry Basil Smoothie
This refreshing Strawberry Basil Smoothie is creamy, cold, and super healthy with avocado, spinach, and other superfoods!
- Prep Time: 5
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 2 smoothies 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Snack, Summer
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- 2 ¼ cups almond or other plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- ½ large avocado
- 1 large handful fresh, raw spinach
- 4-6 medium basil leaves
- 1 ½ cups frozen strawberries
- 1-2 teaspoons maple syrup, to taste
- Add all ingredients to a blender in order, starting with the liquids and ending with frozen strawberries.
- Blend at high speed until smooth and creamy.
Read the blog post for substitutions and variations.
Keywords: vegan smoothie, strawberry smoothie, gluten-free smoothie, healthy breakfast smoothie
It's not your typical smoothie flavor and it's always a hit! I hope you love this surprisingly delicious treat as much as I do.