This easy and indulgent Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie hits the spot for dessert or breakfast. It’s a healthy start to your day or the perfect replacement for a milkshake when you crave something cool, chocolatey, and fruity.
Thick, creamy, and smooth, this gluten-free smoothie made with fresh raspberries and cocoa has the best ingredients. We pack it full of spinach then add in almond butter, a splash of almond milk, and creamy avocado for a hearty, pudding-like consistency.
Why I love this Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie
We make this healthy chocolate smoothie with berries on Mondays. Because it’s like a dessert it hits the spot for comfort when beginning a new week. Give it a try and see why we love this milkshake-like smoothie.
- Gluten-Free - all ingredients are naturally gluten-free.
- Basically, Dessert - This raspberry and chocolate smoothie is thick and creamy, served cold it’s the best healthy alternative to a chocolate milkshake.
- Chocolatey - Love love chocolate and this smoothie hits the spot!
- Healthy - Packed with some healthy ingredients this drink is full of iron, protein, and calcium. A great way to enjoy your smoothie and benefit from it as well.
- Dairy-Free - Almond milk is used in this recipe, but any plant-based milk would work.
- Raspberries - The burst of berry goodness with the chocolate is mouthwatering.
- Avocado - Not only is it healthy and full of healthy fats, but it also adds to the thick, smooth texture, making it almost like chocolate pudding.
- Cocoa powder - The best part, chocolate!
- Almond Butter - Nutty and delicious, this adds to the creamy texture and tasty flavor. Substitute with peanut butter, sunflower seed butter, or other nut butters.
- Plant-based milk - Use your favorite dairy-free milk.
- Spinach - mild and easy to pack full without overpowering your smoothie.
- Maple syrup - Sweeten your smoothie without adding sugar.
How to make Chocolate Berry Smoothie
- Add ingredients to the blender and blend until thick and smooth.
Always add liquids to the blender first, followed by the solid ingredients. Save any frozen fruit or ice for last as the top layer. Layering ingredients in this way helps to prevent air pockets when the blades start turning.
Gluten-Free Chocolate Smoothie Substitutions
It’s easy to switch up a few ingredients and have wonderfully delicious results that fit your taste, your diet, or just a craving.
Here are a few substitutions for this chocolate raspberry protein smoothie:
- Use regular milk instead of plant-based milk.
- Substitute a frozen banana for avocado.
- Use a different berry, like blueberries or strawberries.
- Try a different nut butter like cashew butter.
- Heartier leafy greens would do well in this smoothie because the chocolate and raspberry are strong enough flavors to overpower the earthy greens. Try Swiss chard or kale.
More Healthy Desserts
- Impossibly Authentic Dairy Free Tiramisu
- Gluten-Free Rhubarb Cake with Strawberries
- Gluten-free Blueberry Muffins
- Essential Dairy-Free Whipped Cream in 5 minutes
Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie
This easy and indulgent Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie hits the spot for dessert or breakfast! It’s a healthy start to your day with cocoa, raspberries, and avocado.
- Prep Time: 10
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 1 large breakfast or 2 smaller dessert servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Dessert, Snack
- Method: Blender
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 ¼ cups almond or other plant-based milk
- 2 tablespoons almond butter
- 2-3 teaspoons maple syrup, plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- ½ large avocado
- 1 large handful fresh spinach
- 1 cup frozen raspberries
- optional: a pinch of salt
- Add all ingredients to a blender in order, beginning with the plant-based milk and finishing with frozen raspberries.
- Blend at high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Read the blog post for easy ingredient substitutions.
- This recipe makes one large breakfast smoothie or two smaller dessert servings.
- Chef's Tip: Always add liquids to the blender first, followed by the solid ingredients. Save any frozen fruit or ice for last as the top layer. Layering ingredients in this way helps to prevent air pockets when the blades start turning.
Keywords: Chocolate Smoothie, Healthy chocolate dessert, dessert smoothie