This Easy Paella Recipe makes a vibrant one-pan dish that's perfect for weeknight dinners and special occasions! It requires only a few easy-to-find ingredients -- the ease and flavor of this tasty paella will make this gluten and dairy-free recipe a favorite in your home!
- 16 shrimp, tail off and deveined
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced thinly and halved
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 lemon, juiced (1 lemon provides about 2 tablespoons of juice)
- ¼ cup chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric (or saffron -- see notes)
- 2 medium Bay leaves
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- In a large fry pan on medium heat, sear shrimp -- cook about 2 minutes total on medium-high heat, flipping mid-way. Remove shrimp from pan and add oil, onion and bell pepper. Sautee for 5 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add garlic and sautee, stirring constantly, for about 2 minutes or until garlic is fragrant and golden brown. Then add tomato puree, rice, broth, parsley, and spices. Bring to low boil for 15 minutes or until rice is mostly cooked, stirring on occasion.
- Add shrimp and bury in the paella. Allow to cook for 5 minutes more, stirring as needed. Turn off heat. If rice is still too firm, cover with a lid and towel (still no heat) until liquid is absorbed and rice is al dente. Add lemon juice, or serve with lemon wedges and enjoy!
- If using saffron, soak 2-3 strands in 2 tablespoon of warm water while you prep. Then add the saffron and water in place of turmeric in this recipe.
- If adding green peas, add thawed or pre-cooked at the same time (or in place of) shrimp in this recipe. I recommend thawing frozen peas first to keep cooking times consistent..
- Category: Dinner, Meal, Skillet
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: Spanish
Keywords: easy shrimp paella, easy paella recipe without saffron, easy vegan paella