This Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup recipe is the perfect side, or main when paired with your favorite protein! It tastes so much like the Maryland Crab soup I love, and you'll find it's healthy and versatile. Plus it's a great choice for friends with food allergies and restrictions as it's gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan. Read on to make this new favorite recipe!
Upon first bite, I was smitten. And my partner and I fought over who gets the most broth! It tastes so similar to the Maryland Crab Soup that I grew up with, minus the crab of course.
Unlike nearly all the recipes on this site, we never tweaked the original, because I am sure it could not taste better. And I crave it, made just like this.
Why you’ll love this Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup Recipe:
- it's sooo simple
- is amazing as a side or a main when you add shrimp or chicken
- it uses all your leftovers from two other amazing recipes on this site: the Easy Paella Recipe & Northwest Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
- it's addicting
And truthfully, I didn't even like tomatoes before this recipe. That makes this Instant Pot Tomato Soup a game changer for sure.
What to know before you start:
It takes time for the instant pot to come to pressure.
I added 10 minutes to the “cooking time” to account for that.
You can also make this in a large pot on the stove. Simply bring all ingredients to simmer with lid cracked until the vegetables are soft.
If adding shrimp, they don’t require the entire cycle of coming to pressure and cooking for 1 minute.
If I’m available, I turn off the instant pot once I hear the liquid come to a rolling boil (usually before coming to pressure).
By the time the steam is released and the soup cools, the shrimp are well-cooked.
Use leftover ingredients for two other tasty recipes on this site!
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 rating in the recipe card or comment field below. Thank you!Print
Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
This Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup recipe is the perfect side, or main when paired with your favorite protein! It tastes so much like the Maryland Crab soup I love, and you’ll find it’s healthy and versatile. Plus it’s an excellent option for friends with food allergies and restrictions as it’s gluten-free, dairy-free, and vegan.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 medium leek, leaves and stalk sliced into thin disks
- 3-4 large stalks celery, diced
- 1 large handful baby carrots, chopped into 1 cm pieces
- 2 large gold potatoes, cubed
- 1 ½ cups water
- ¼ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 16 raw shrimp, tails off and deveined
- Add all ingredients except shrimp to the instant pot. Close the lid and set for 18 minutes on high pressure.
- After cooking, allow to vent naturally for about 10 minutes before using the manual steam release button. If eating as a vegetable soup, that's it! If adding shrimp, continue to the next step.
- (Optional shrimp add-in) Add the shrimp to the instant pot. Set for 1 minute on high pressure -- shrimp cook very quickly. When cooking cycle is complete, use the manual steam release.
Note that it takes time for the instant pot to come to pressure. I added 10 minutes to the "cooking time" to account for that.
The shrimp don't require the entire cycle of coming to pressure and cooking for 1 minute. If I'm available, I often turn off the instant pot once I hear the liquid come to a rolling boil (usually before coming to pressure). By the time the steam is released and the soup cools, the shrimp are well-cooked.
This soup has very similar ingredients to this Easy Paella Recipe and the Northwest Beef Stew in the Instant Pot! I usually make them all in the same week for this reason. They taste very different despite similar ingredients -- so fun!
Keywords: Instant Pot, soup, shrimp, easy recipe
Hungry for more?
Check out our tasty gluten-free Recipe Index <3
With love and gratitude,