While made entirely from pantry ingredients, this vegan vodka pasta is no joke! Let me start by saying that it's super easy. Simply stir up a few ingredients in a pan and add pasta. Boom. Dinner is done and served and totally dinner-party-worthy. And the best part is that we use only 10 shelf-stable ingredients that you probably have already!
For some reason, I always thought Vodka sauce was something only professional chefs could get right. But that couldn't be further from the truth! One luscious bite and I was whisked away to one of those romantic dinners in the movies -- the one where the couple is sharing a creamy pasta and making eyes at each other across the table.
But in this movie, I'm looking lovingly at my pasta. I snuck the first bite straight from the skillet. And then a few bites more... I recommend making this one in private so you can enjoy sneaky bites all by yourself in your own foodie bliss.
Whenever I make a fancy dinner just for myself, this is always at the top of the list. And I eat it straight out of the skillet 😉
Why you'll love this recipe
- 15 minutes from start to finish
- pantry-friendly ingredients
- easy to scale up or down
- creamy sauce and tangy vodka
Vegan Vodka Sauce Ingredients
This vodka sauce needs only 4 main ingredients and 5 common spices for restaurant-worthy quality!
- olive oil
- tomato paste
- coconut milk
The perfect spice blend:
- minced garlic (fresh or freeze-dried)
- dried basil leaves (this brand is the most flavorful)
- salt and pepper
- red pepper flakes -- for a little kick!
Just add freshly cooked pasta in any shape and you're all set! Choose a lentil or chickpea pasta for extra vegan protein.
Does vodka sauce have alcohol in it?
Vodka sauce uses a small amount of alcohol during the cooking process but the final sauce does not contain alcohol. This is because the alcohol burns off when heated, leaving no alcohol behind. Vodka sauce is safe for children to eat too.
In this recipe, each serving has only ½ tablespoon of vodka before the alcohol is boiled off.
What does vodka do in pasta?
In pasta sauce, vodka leaves behind a tangy flavor after the alcohol burns off. This tangy flavor is what makes vodka sauce taste different from other sauces.
How to make Vodka Sauce from scratch
- Saute garlic in olive oil until golden brown and fragrant.
- Add tomato paste and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring constantly, until it turns a deeper shade of red.
- Add spices and vodka. Watch the alcohol sizzle and burn off.
- Add cream. Simmer for 5 minutes.
It's done! Add your pasta and enjoy.
The ingredients for this recipe conveniently come in the perfect quantity to use with a 1 pound (16 ounce) standard pasta package. To use the full 1 pound package, you will want to double the recipe (use the 2x feature in the recipe card).
Gluten Free Pasta
Gluten-free pasta typically comes in a 12-ounce package. Use about ⅔ of the pasta in this sized package with the ingredients listed below.
Check out the ingredients photo earlier in this post to see the gluten-free and celiac-friendly brands I used to make this recipe.
- Foolproof Gluten-Free French Baguette
- Best Easy Tuscan Chicken Salad (leave out the chicken for a vegan side salad)
- House Favorite Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Olive Garden Copycat Minestrone Soup recipe
- Classy Dairy-Free Zuppa Toscana in one pot with clean ingredients
More Vegan Pasta Recipes
- One Pot Lentil Pasta
- Herby Vegan Alfredo Pasta
- Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- Sneaky Pea Pesto Pasta
- Vegan Broccoli Mac and Cheese
I hope this Vegan Vodka Pasta hits the spot!