Imagine waking up to a warm tray of gluten free pumpkin donuts on a crisp Fall morning... With this easy one-bowl recipe, you can make the dream a reality in only 30 minutes or prep and baking time! This gluten free pumpkin donuts recipe makes 10-12 soft and flavorful pumpkin cake donuts with a spiced sugar topping (+ two other toppings you'll love!).
These beauties are baked rather than fried, and with our coconut butter glaze, taste just like the real deal! If that’s not amazing enough, they are gluten free, dairy free, and paleo, all while packing in a healthy dose of almond flour protein and pumpkin for an energy-packed snack.
Why I love Gluten-Free Baked Pumpkin Donuts
- Gluten free - I love a good donut and as a gluten-free eater it’s hard to come by at a donut shop. Skip the long lines, of super sugary floury donuts and make your own. You’ll love knowing exactly what’s going into the recipe!
- Dairy-free - This recipe doesn’t even need dairy when it has coconut butter for the glaze and pumpkin for classic donut texture and flavor.
- Baked - Yes! No frying is necessary for these baked pumpkin donuts.
- One bowl - Any recipe that has minimal cleanup is a winner in my book.
- Soft and moist - These gluten free doughnuts have an irresistible texture and are so soft from the use of pumpkin.
Ingredients for Gluten- and Dairy-free Pumpkin Donuts
If you’re already a gluten-free baker, you likely have these pantry items on hand. If not, you just need a few specialty ingredients to make these baked pumpkin donuts in the oven.
- Flour - I use a mix of almond and cassava flour. I haven’t tried this recipe with a substitute so this is the mix I recommend for the best result.
- Levening - Baking soda and an egg.⠀
- Coconut sugar - You can substitute any granulated sugar. Skip using maple syrup or honey for a sweetener, though. It will not bake up correctly with this substitution.
- Coconut butter - If you’re not dairy-free regular unsalted butter could be used. Make sure it is melted but NOT hot.
- Pureed pumpkin - Make sure to use 100% pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling.
- Flavoring - Vanilla and salt. You can add a teaspoon or so of pumpkin pie spice for extra flavor.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Pumpkin Donuts Gluten-Free
One bowl, a donut pan, and a few ingredients result in the BEST pumpkin donuts!
Step 1: Preheat the oven and grease a donut pan.
Step 2: Whisk the dry ingredients in a large bowl: flour, baking soda, and salt.
Step 3: Stir in the remaining ingredients: sugar, egg, butter, pumpkin, and vanilla.
Step 4: Fill each up of the donut pan ¾ of the way.
Step 5: Bake until golden brown and the toothpick come out clean.
We won’t hold you in suspense any longer - here’s the super easy recipe that will lead you to the best gluten free donut you’ve ever had!
The Best Gluten Free Pumpkin Donuts Toppings:
Mix ½ cup coconut sugar, ½ tsp cinnamon, and a pinch of nutmeg well in a bowl.
Using a silicon brush, brush the donut tops with liquid coconut oil and submerge in spiced sugar. We only sugar one side, though you could do both!
Using a silicon brush, brush the donut tops with liquid coconut oil.
Drop sprinkles onto the donuts or submerge for heavily sprinkled donuts.
Note: You can make an easy glaze by mixing water or plant-based milk with the confectioner's sugar, though most have corn starch (which we are avoiding).
Whipped Coconut Cream
How will you top yours?
Missing some Gluten Free Pumpkin Donuts Ingredients?
Check out our Shop, with 100% Gluten-free and Celiac-Safe products we use every day!
Donut Recipe Tips
Enjoy your pumpkin donuts with a cup of warm coffee for breakfast or a glass of plant-based milk for dessert. Here are a few tips to get perfect donuts everytime.
- Grease the pan: Lightly grease your donut pan to prevent any sticking.
- Pipe the donut batter: This makes filling the donut pan so much easier! Use a piping bag or a gallon ziplock bag with the tip cut off.
- Use the toothpick method: You can’t go wrong with the classic clean toothpick method to check for doneness.
How to Store Donuts
Store these easy pumpkin donuts in an air-tight container at room temperature for 1-2 days or up to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Freeze plain donuts for up to 3 months in an air-tight container. Thaw overnight in the fridge and pop in the microwave for 10 seconds. Add glaze or sugar topping before serving.
Looking for other easy & delicious pumpkin recipes? Try these!
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Pancakes: the perfect paleo brunch ❤︎
- Paleo Pumpkin Muffins >> the perfect take-along snack!
- Crustless Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Latte Donuts using regular flour
We love to see how you use our delicious gluten-free recipes! Please share your creation in a photo on instagram and be sure to tag #vibrantlygfree .
With love and gratitude,