A super amazing healthy breakfast skillet with Southwestern flavors and tons of veggies! Replace the bacon with 3 tablespoons of liquid oil for vegetarian. This dish is naturally gluten-free and can be made dairy-free with a cheese alternative.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 cup yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1/2 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup roma tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 cups diced russet potatoes
- ¾ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon chili powder
Dairy and Eggs
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Avocado and chopped green onions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
2. Bacon: In a 10-inch skillet on medium heat, fry the bacon until crisp (about 5 minutes), flipping and stirring on occasion to prevent sticking. Transfer bacon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
3. Vegetables: Add all vegetables and spices to the skillet with the remaining bacon fat and toss to coat. Cook on medium heat, stirring on occasion until soft (about 15 minutes). Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs and milk.
4. Assemble: Remove the skillet from heat. Sprinkle cheese evenly over the vegetables. Then pour over the egg mixture and distribute bacon evenly on top.
5. Bake: Place the skillet on the middle oven rack. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges brown, the top rises, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Garnish with avocado and sliced green onions and enjoy!
Storage: Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days. Freezing is not recommended.
Reheating leftovers: Bake at 350 degrees F for 5-7 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and slices are cooked through.
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Skillet
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Breakfast skillet cast iron, Healthy breakfast skillet, Mexican breakfast skillet, Southwest skillet, Southwest breakfast scramble