This Creamy Vegan Golden Beet Soup packs a lot of warm fuzzy feelings into one bright bowl! With 8 whole-food ingredients plus spices, it's a simple dish for beginner and experienced cooks. It's also anti-inflammatory and soothing -- I love eating this soup when I have a cold or am feeling unwell due to chronic illness.
Beets are harvested in late summer and early Fall. They last for months when stored properly, so you are likely to find them in stores during the Fall and Winter months. You can make this dish with golden or traditional red beetroots.
Why you'll love this soup:
- non-traditional and will shake up your routine
- soothing whole food ingredients
- easy to make
- a new and different way to enjoy root vegetables
We make this soup frequently in the cooler months and it's always a hit with dinner guests!
This beet soup makes an excellent healthy side dish. Or pair it with Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread for a truly mouthwatering meal combination! Note that the Irish Soda Bread uses Pamela's Baking mix and has a small amount of buttermilk powder. For a gluten-free and vegan bread pairing, check out my 3-ingredient Gluten-Free Baguette Recipe.
This recipe was inspired by a beet soup recipe by Pick Up Limes, who has a passion for using beetroots in cooking.
- coconut butter
- yellow onion
- vegetable or chicken broth
- coconut milk
- ground cumin
- ground turmeric
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper to taste
- lemon juice to taste
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Heat coconut oil in a large pot on medium-high heat.
- Then add onions and cook, stirring on occasion, until caramelized.
- Add garlic and stir until golden.
- Add broth, root vegetables, spices, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until root vegetables are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf. Turn off heat and remove the pot from the stove. Use an immersion blender to puree completely. You can also use a standard food processor or standing blender -- in this case, wait for the soup to cool completely before pureeing.*
- Stir in the coconut milk and serve hot.
*Important: Do not puree hot soup in a standing blender or food processor. The heat can cause the soup to expand and the top to pop off, creating a mess and burn hazard.
- Sweet Potatoes - I make this soup with white potatoes, but you can make it with sweet potatoes if you prefer.
- More Beets - This recipe can handle an extra beet or two if you like!
- Red Beets - This soup tastes the same with any color of beet. Choose what's available or what color soup you'll enjoy most!
This Golden Beet Soup is naturally gluten-free and vegan.
- Immersion blender
- Large pot
- Serving spoon
Store leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
If you have an immersion blender, you can make this soup easily just before eating.
If using a standing blender or food processor, make this recipe earlier in the day or the night before so you can safely transfer and puree the soup once cooled.
More vegan soup recipes you'll love:
- House Favorite Vegan Minestrone Soup
- Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Easy Thai Coconut Curry Soup with Tofu
If you’re still hesitant to try it, let me reassure you that this soup is worth every ounce of your effort. Whether served fresh or for leftovers, it's super delicious!