This Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread recipe uses only 7 ingredients and one-bowl! You'll love it's flaky crumbly biscuit-like crust with a soft center. It's the perfect easy gluten free bread recipe for beginners, and we love it as a side, snack, and for sandwiches!
I first tried Irish Soda Bread when I studied abroad in Cork, Ireland. I remember touring the Old English Market and finding rows upon rows of bakers with fresh loaves of bread for their morning customers.
Of course I found my favorite vendor, and you bet this one is made with all of his secrets -- and a gluten-free twist of course!
When I learned I had celiac disease in 2011, I remembered how easy soda bread is... and I made my first gluten free bread recipe as a beginner!
What goes well with Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread?
Because of its biscuit-like taste and texture, this Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread is a delicious treat on its own. You can also eat it with your favorite spread.
And a worldwide favorite way to eat Irish Soda Bread is to dip it in soups and stews. I list my favorite combinations below!
Best Spreads for Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread
- butter or coconut butter (dairy-free)
- peanut butter
If you cut thick slices, it's also lovely with a sandwich! We gobble it up so fast because you can eat it so many tasty ways.
Best Soups and Stews to dip Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread in
- Northwest Beef Stew in the Instant Pot
- Golden Beet and Turmeric Soup (shown above)
- Easy Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Dairy Free Swedish Meatballs (not a soup, but sooo good with this gravy!)
Why is Irish Soda Bread Special?
Irish Soda Bread is made with baking soda instead of yeast like most loaves of bread. This means no rising time or serious kneading required!
I think it tastes better too 😉
If you give this recipe a try or have information to share with the community, leave a comment to let us know how it goes!
I also appreciate when you offer feedback and use #vibrantlygfree on instagram to share your creations.
What to know before you start
Make this Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread your own.
I find Irish Soda Bread recipes can vary widely: some are sweet, salty, dry, spiced, or include raisins!
This recipe is soft on the inside and crisp on the outside, with a touch of sweetness from the honey.
Add raisins, more honey, less honey, maple syrup -- the skies the limit!
I use and recommend Pamela's Baking Mix for this recipe.
Because Pamela’s Baking Mix includes almond flour and buttermilk, it closely matches the texture of traditional Irish Soda Bread. The almond flour adds texture, similar to oat flour in the authentic Irish version.
And buttermilk is traditional for Irish Soda Bread too. This mix makes for the closest rise and texture to the traditional!
Tips for using Gluten-Free 1-to-1 flours:
- Pamela's baking mix includes baking soda already. You will need to add 1 tsp of additional baking soda to this recipe if your flour does not include it. Make sure to mix it well so there are no bitter bites!
- Use a little less flour. When I tested this recipe with a gluten free 1-to-1 blend, I used about 4 ¼ cups of flour. The dough had a nice consistency at that point.
- Use buttermilk. This makes for the most traditional taste. Or make Vegan Buttermilk (like I did) -- add 1 ½ tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the dairy-free milk before adding it to your mix. Works like a charm!
- Bake a little longer. I baked my loaf for 10 minutes at 425 F (to get more rise), then dropped the temperature to 400 degrees F for nearly 40 minutes. It's finished when you tap the crust and hear a hollow sound, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread with 1 to 1 flour:
A note for dairy free...
There's a little buttermilk powder in Pamela’s Baking Mix. This recipe works well with any flour with the above adjustments.
Cover the loaf if it browns too quickly while baking.
If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the loaf with aluminum foil to prevent further browning.
Easy Gluten Free Irish Soda Bread RecipePrint
Hungry for more?
Try these other tasty GF baked goods:
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Gluten Free Mango Muffins
- Gluten Free Blondies
- Heavenly Double Chocolate Brownies
- Strawberry Rhubarb Coffee Cake
Happy baking my friend!