This Healthy Baked Chicken Fajita recipe is done in 30 minutes with 8 easy-to-find ingredients! It has the words ‘weeknight’ and ‘easy’ written all over it. I designed it as a Copycat Chipotle Chicken Fajita Bowl that’s hands-free, thanks to the oven.
It’s beginner-friendly, has minimal prep time, and is perfect for a big batch. Toss away that sheet pan fajita recipe -- this one is juicier in a deep dish and we broil at the end to add extra texture. If you want YUM in a bowl, I’m glad to say you found it here!
There has never been a more year-round friendly dish than this one. It’s bright and cheery in the summer and warming in the winter. We often make it during the transition seasons in Seattle, when it’s too warm for soup and too cool for salad.
Why you'll love this recipe:
- super easy
- full of flavor
- endlessly customizable with toppings
- naturally gluten-free and dairy-free
- done in 35 minutes with little hands-on time
- 8 ingredients plus common spices
- total crowd pleaser!
These Healthy Baked Chicken Fajitas are great by themselves as a one-pan dish served over freshly cooked white or brown rice. Add guacamole, cheese, or black beans for extra oomph.
With ingredients you can find anywhere, this recipe is sure to become a family staple! It uses 8 main ingredients plus five spices you probably have on hand already.
- chicken breast
- red onion
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- vegetable oil
- dried oregano
- cumin powder
- chili powder
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
If serving this recipe over rice, you'll want about 6 cups of cooked white or brown rice.
See the recipe card for quantities.
Prep: Preheat the oven to 475 degrees F (245 C).
Assemble: Add all main ingredients and spices to a large glass baking dish. Toss to mix thoroughly and lightly coat the ingredients in oil.
Bake: Cover the baking dish with foil or an inverted cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.
Broil: Remove the foil or cookie sheet and switch the oven to broil for 4-5 minutes.
Serve: Remove from the oven. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and squeeze lime juice to taste just before serving!
Hint: It’s really important to toss the ingredients thoroughly before baking so they are coated in oil. This keeps everything nice and juicy when you broil.
- Vegetarian - leave out the chicken and add cooked or canned black beans after baking to make this vegetarian.
This recipe is naturally gluten-free and dairy-free.
- Without cilantro - cilantro tastes like soap to some people. If this is you, you can leave out the cilantro and it still tastes delicious.
- Deluxe - add guacamole, cooked or canned black beans, cheese, sliced jalapenos, and sour cream.
- large glass baking dish (affiliate link)
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Using a deep baking dish and covering it with foil or a cookie sheet really helps meld the flavors together!
While you could make this recipe on a sheet pan, it will never taste as good as the ‘baked covered and then broil’ method. We tried using a sheet pan and were disappointed.
Other easy chicken recipes you'll love:
- Super Addictive Thai Chicken Soup
- Best Easy Tuscan Chicken Salad
- Chinese Five Spice Chicken with Zucchini Spears
- Pumpkin Curry with Chicken
- Amazing Air Fryer Lemon Pepper Wings from scratch
Food safety reminders
- Do not use the same utensils on cooked food that previously touched raw meat.
- Wash hands after touching raw meat.
- Don't leave food sitting out at room temperature for extended periods.
- Never leave cooking food unattended.
This is some seriously good food. I hope you and your family love it as much as we do!