Baked Cottage Fries are the easiest of all fries, and truly an underrated snack and side dish! Rather than slice in wedges, cubes, or traditional french fry style, you simply slice a potato into thin disks, coat with oil, roast, and season. This recipe is my favorite healthy snack made in 25 minutes, with only 4 common ingredients.
It's also endlessly customizable, easy to scale up or down if you're willing to share, and impossible to get tired of.
While cottage fries can be enjoyed year round, I enjoy them most in the cooler months since they're super warming and the oven heats up the house. I often make them as a mid-day snack or post-dinner treat.
They also pair well with other warming winter dinner recipes like our popular Dairy Free Swedish Meatballs and Vegan Swedish Meatballs, Baked Salmon Cakes, Crispy Roasted Brussel Sprouts, and Sage Turkey Cranberry Meatballs.
For snacking, we like them best with this Black Bean Hummus recipe.
There is no need to consider substitutions for common allergens since this recipe is naturally top 9 allergy-free.
It is also vegan and gluten-free. For anyone sensitive to garlic, the garlic powder can easily be eliminated or replaced with your favorite spice.
You need just a few common ingredients to make this recipe. I bet you have most (if not all) of them on hand already!
- Potatoes - Russet potatoes are ideal for this recipe because their high starch content leads to very crispy fries. Gold fleshed potato varieties have a nice flavor but a higher moisture content, so they will be less crispy.
- Oil - Avocado and sunflower oil are ideal for this recipe because of their neutral flavor, liquid form at room temperature, and high smoking point (they won't smoke at 400 F). For extra flavor, use olive oil, but keep your oven temperature a little lower if it tends to run hot because olive oil smokes at 410 F.
- Seasoning - This potato snack tastes fantastic with simply salt, pepper, and garlic powder. But you can season them any way you like! Ranch seasoning and Old Bay are other great choices.
Only 3 simple steps to the crispiest cottage fries!
Step 1. Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Slice the potatoes into disks. Slice thinner for crispier chip-like fries and thicker for softer cottage fries. I usually slice as thinly as I can with a regular chef's knife.
Step 2. Potatoes & Oil: Add oil to a large sheet pan, dividing between two pans if necessary. Use your fingers or a silicon brush to coat the bottom of each pan with oil.
Lay the potato slices down in a single layer. Then flip each slice to coat both sides with oil (alternatively you can brush with oil using a silicon brush).
Step 3. Bake: Bake for 10 minutes, flip each potato slice, then roast for 10 minutes more.
Remove your cottage fries from oven and season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Enjoy!
- All ingredient measurements are guidelines. All you need are potato slices coated with oil and seasonings to taste. Make it your own and feel free to experiment.
- You will get the crispiest fries baking right on a metal pan. If using a silicone mat, you may need to increase the baking time or the fries will lose their crispiness.
Cottage fries are best enjoyed immediately after baking while they are crispy. Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer to regain some of that initial crispiness.
Cottage fries are made of just three ingredients: potatoes, oil, and salt. Additional seasonings are added to taste and they are typically enjoyed as a side dish or snack.
I prefer to use avocado oil because it is neutral in taste and can handle high temperatures because it has a high smoking point. You can also use sunflower oil or olive oil.
Other related potato recipes to consider...
Love this recipe? Please leave a 5-star 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟rating in the recipe card below. And if you really like it, consider a comment in the field further down. Thank you!Print
Crispy Baked Cottage Fries
This easy 3 ingredient Cottage Fries recipe is the perfect healthy snack or side! Ready to eat in only 30 minutes. Gluten-Free and Vegan.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- Category: Sides
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 3 medium russet potatoes
- 3 tablespoons avocado or other neutral oil
- salt, pepper, and garlic powder to taste
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Slice the potatoes into disks. Slice thinner for crispier chip-like fries and thicker for softer cottage fries. I usually slice as thinly as I can with a regular chef's knife.
- Potatoes & Oil: Add oil to a large sheet pan, dividing between two pans if necessary. Use your fingers or a silicon brush to coat the bottom of each pan with oil. Lay the potato slices down in a single layer, then flip each to coat both sides with oil (alternatively you can brush with oil using a silicon brush).
- Bake: Bake for 10 minutes, flip each slice, then bake for 10 minutes more. Remove from the oven and season to taste with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Enjoy!
Ingredient measurements are guidelines. All you need are potato slices coated with oil and seasoning to taste!
Avocado oil is my favorite, but any neutral oil with a smoking point above 400 F will work too.
Storage: Cottage fries are best enjoyed immediately after baking while they are crispy. Store any leftovers in an airtight container the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Reheat in the oven or air fryer to regain some of that initial crispiness.
Keywords: home fries, oven fries
I just made these with parsnips and they are so good. I definitely recommend this recipe. I've been making the potato version ever since you posted them on instagram last year! Love these!
Hmmmm... chips or fries? My daily dilemma. :0) COTTAGE FRIES IT IS!!! Thank you for this super simple and tasty recipe!! I especially like them sprinkled with Old Bay!!
Love how simple this recipe is and they are extra good with avocado oil! I've stopped buying potato chips from the store!
Same here! We bought a bag of chips and realized immediately that cottage fries are just sooo much better. Thank you for the review Stacey!
Soooo good! My kids loved them! Planning on making them for the Super Bowl!
I couldn't decide if I wanted chips or fries - this satisfied my craving for both! I used olive oil and added a little parsley. Will definitely be a frequent side in my house!