This S’mores Rocky Road recipe is truly wonderful with only 5 ingredients and tastes like a ready-to-eat and portable s'more! The graham crackers stay crunchy and the peanut butter gives them an ultra-creamy texture.
Smash together the classic campfire s’mores flavors with a rocky road twist. A bite-size snack bar that you'll be craving to make again!
These homemade S’mores bars are the perfect party and barbecue dessert that will be devoured before you know it. Plus, these dessert squares are easy to adapt to many different dietary restrictions and can be adjusted by substituting some ingredients.
Bring your favorite campfire snack to your kitchen and make s’mores at home with a rocky road twist.
If you love this recipe and want more s’mores ideas, check out this Pomegranate Rocky Road S’mores Bar recipe. It’s like Christmas in your mouth!
Why I love this recipe
This is the best s’mores dessert recipe that kids and adults will love just the same. I absolutely recommend making a double batch if brought to a party as they will not last long! This chocolate peanut butter bar with graham crackers tastes just like s’mores with a nutty addition.
S'more to love:
- Only 5 ingredients - traditional s’mores ingredients with the addition of peanut butter bring this rocky road dessert to another level.
- Easy recipe - a simple dessert recipe that is easy to make
- Fun - bringing all the flavors of the campfire favorite snack to the kitchen is such a treat! And their bite-sized portions make it easy for snacking and share.
- Texture - The velvety peanut better chocolate combined with crunchy graham crackers and soft marshmallows is devilishly good. These no-bake s'mores have the best texture and taste for such an easy recipe.
Peanut Butter S'mores Ingredients
This dessert recipe brings all the best ingredients of the beloved campfire s’mores and adds a rocky road twist for some of your favorite flavors.
- Chocolate chips - semi-sweet chips are best and not too sweet.
- Mini marshmallows - you can use regular or vegan marshmallows.
- Graham crackers - I used gluten-free graham crackers and the Kinnikinnick ones have the best texture.
- Peanut butter - unsweetened peanut butter is perfect for this recipe since we use many other sweetened ingredients. It saves these rocky road dessert bars from being overly sweet and we love the nutty flavor. Alternatively, use almond or cashew butter.
- Butter - I use vegan butter but regular butter will also work.
See the recipe card for quantities.
How to Make Rocky Road Marshmallow Bites
This is an easy dessert recipe that comes together quickly for a velvety smooth chocolate peanut butter bar loaded with crunchy graham cracker pieces and soft, fluffy marshmallows. With just a few steps, these rocky road s’mores will be an irresistible treat.
Prep - line the pan: Use parchment paper to line the bottom and sides of a loaf pan.
Melt the base: Melt together the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a pot on low heat, stirring constantly.
Graham cracker pieces: Break crackers into pieces and stir into the melted chocolate. Set aside and allow it to cool for just a few minutes before adding the marshmallows.
Marshmallows: Add to the cooled chocolate mix and fold in gently.
Assemble in pan: Evenly spread the mixture into the pan and gently press into the corners with a spatula.
Toppings: Add more mini marshmallows and graham crackers on top to decorate. Refrigerate until firm.
Cut into Bite-Sized Pieces: Once chilled, remove the s'mores rocky road dessert bar from the pan by lifting out the parchment paper and cut it into bite-size squares.
Hint: Double the batch and use an 8x8 square dish. They’re so crave-worthy, that you’ll want to have extra to snack on. Or if you’re feeling generous, share with others!
Semi-sweet chocolate chips are the best chocolate for this homemade rocky road s’mores recipe. It melts perfectly and isn’t overly sweet like milk chocolate.
This vegan rocky road s’mores recipe is easy to make -- substitutions are measure for measure.
- Gluten-free - I used vegan butter, gluten-free graham crackers, and regular marshmallows for gluten and dairy-free dessert.
- Make it vegan - use vegan marshmallows and butter.
- Coconut oil - Substitute butter for an equal amount of coconut oil.
- Nut butter - Almond butter and sun butter are suitable substitutions for peanut butter for anyone with nut or peanut butter allergies.
- Real butter - instead of vegan butter you can use real dairy butter.
I made this recipe as a gluten-free dessert and vegan-friendly snack without any loss of flavor. You can keep the recipe as is and enjoy the benefits of eating a little healthier or swap out whichever ingredient you’d like and still have delicious results.
You can really get creative when making no-bake desserts, and this s'mores snack with peanut butter is one step from being that much tastier. Try one of these s'more's dessert bar variations for a unique recipe.
- Turtle S’mores - Another twist on the classic s’mores recipe is to make these bars with chopped pecans, caramel, marshmallows, and chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter Cookie S’mores - Switch out the graham crackers for crumbled peanut butter cookies with chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Make it Nutty - Add ⅓ cup of chopped peanuts, almonds, or walnuts to this easy s’more’s dessert bar recipe.
If you love chocolate recipes then you must try these Gluten-Free Blondies!
- Loaf pan. If doubling the recipe, use an 8x8 or 9x9 inch square pan.
- Medium pot
- Silicone spatula
Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or at a cool room temperature for up to a week. If at room temperature, make sure it's not warm enough to melt the chocolate.
Melt the chocolate base slowly.
This recipe is super fast no matter what, so take that extra minute or two and melt the chocolate mixture on low heat. This makes sure the butter doesn't burn and you get an ultra-velvety texture!
I definitely recommend using the stove to melt the chocolate. If you choose to try it in the microwave, melt the chocolate in increments of 30 seconds at a time so as to not burn the mixture.
Allow the mixture to cool for a few minutes before adding the marshmallows.
You'll find this step in the recipe, but make sure to follow it! If you combine the chocolate and marshmallows too soon, the marshmallows will melt into the chocolate.
Watch the room temperature when serving.
Because the mixture is a little softer than regular chocolate, it is more prone to melting at a warm room or outdoor temperature. Store it somewhere cool, or refrigerate before bringing it outside.
Fortunately, this treat never lasts long and you only need to watch it until it's gone!
More Summer Dessert and Snack Recipes:
- Vegan Chocolate Raspberry Smoothie
- Gluten-Free Strawberry Muffins with Chocolate (dairy-free)
- Mocha Chia Pudding
- Gluten-Free Blueberry Muffins with crisp cinnamon sugar
- Pie Iron Apple Pie >> make dessert over a campfire
This is my favorite kind of recipe - easy, incredibly delicious, and super shareable! I hope you love it as much as I do.